RETIRE RICH - OFWs deserve to retire rich

Tuesday, July 29

Transfer from Visa 20 to work permit allowed for three months

Transfer Visa 20 to work permit allowed for three months In the past few days, I've been receiving a lot of emails asking questions; if article 20 visas of domestic workers can transfer to work permit in the private sector. I received an email from one of our Kabayan, who is a nurse in the Philippines but was hired under article visa 20. She's technically considered as a domestic helper -- not a nurse.


For the sake of privacy, I will not mention her real name. Here's an excerpt of her email:
"My name is Blinda (not her real name) a registered nurse from the Philippines. I came here in Kuwait last june 17, 2014. I was able to offer a home care job here in Kuwait by my employer in 20 visa. I do not have any idea about the visas here in Kuwait. Later on when I arrived here that's the time I learned that in 20 you are not allowed to work outside. Also, the company cannot give a patient that is I do not have a duty. Only if the other employee wants to have day off that's the time that I am able to have duty. My question is can I use this as reasons to ask a release from my employer? I am still reluctant of asking a release because he paid 500 KD Just to bring me here. Please help me...I don't know what to do. I have two options find a new employer that can give me visa 18 or transfer in DUBAI."

I feel sorry for her, because it seemed to me, based on her email that she was not well informed about the difference between visa 20 and visa 18 prior to her hiring in the Philippines. She's been studying for four years just to get the degree but ended up working as domestic helper. I tried searching via Google regarding this transfer issue, because as we all know, visa 20 is not permitted to transfer to work permit. And I'm happy to stumble upon a post from Arab Times posted on July 25, 2014.

The post says that  the "Director of Public Authority for Manpower Jamal Al-Dousari says that the authority has collaborated with the Ministry of Interior to allow transfer of Article 20 visas of domestic workers to work permits in the private sector for three months starting from Aug 15, reports Al-Seyassah daily."

Because of this development, I immediately emailed Blinda and provided her the link. And this is her reply to me: "Thank you this is very informative".

Yes. I agree with her; this is indeed very informative development and I'm happy, because whenever I received email like above, I don't know how to reply. Now, I'm happy to inform everyone reading this blog about this development. It is a fact that we have many degree holders here in Kuwait working as domestic helpers who are hoping that one day, they can work in the private sector.

I continued my research and type few keywords regarding this changes in visa transfer. And again, I stumbled upon another post from Arab Times written by Mr. Khaled Aljenfawi on July 28, 2014. He said that he recommended in many of his articles in Arab Times that the "government needs to keep Kuwait a welcoming environment for our expatriate friends and partners." 

Because of my excitement reading Mr. Aljenfawi's post, I shoot him an email, asking few questions. But as of this writing, there's still no reply from him. As soon as he reply, I will update this post. I'm looking forward that on August 15 transfers can be done.

post signature

No comments:

Post a Comment