RETIRE RICH - OFWs deserve to retire rich

Wednesday, July 2

My first local-transfer [release] to another job

When I look for a new job in Kuwait, in the local market, for the first time, made me feel reluctant and hesitant. This is because I don't know the processes. And if you're in the same situation right now; you might feel the same. But it's not actually that complicated.

Let me share with you my experience on my first residency local transfer from my old sponsor/employer to my new sponsor/employer. I write this post to give ideas to those who wanted to move on from their current job but were reluctant and hesitant because of the unfamiliar processes.
I hope that this post will also answer questions from readers of this blog regarding the subject.

I came in Kuwait in 2006 through work visa (article 18) and work as stock-clerk in a reputable supermarket. I'm having fun doing my job because most of the staff were Filipinos. But after three years (in 2009) I realize that being happy on my present job wasn't enough to stay longer. Of course, who will not want better compensation? And besides I'm not getting any younger, but still I'm wrestling heavy grocery items putting them on display or storing them in the warehouse. So, I planned to look for another job.

Ten things I did to secure my release

  1. I ask our HR department what are the conditions in order to get a release. According to our HR department I can only get release after completing "three (3)  years" working under the company's sponsorship. I started working with them in 2006 and I ask for a release in 2009, therefore, I'm entitled for a release. Furthermore, HR told me that an employee is entitled for a release after completing "one (1) year only if he/she has a degree certificate duly attested.

  2. Okay I'm entitled for release, now what? It's job hunting time. I used the internet by applying online and giving CV's to my friends so that they can refer me.

  3. Finally got an offer. I finally offered to work in a clothing store. So, my wish granted; a little increase in salary, and clothing is far more lighter than grocery items to carry. The new company ask me a copy of my work permit (this is for them to check whether my residency is transferable or not, you can get it from your current sponsor), passport copies (valid residency page, front and back copies)  and civil ID.

  4. Documents coming from the new company. After giving the documents I mentioned in number three; the new company gave me offer letter (salary details, benefits, air-ticket etc. has been mentioned) and transfer documents (this is an Arabic document that contain my previous company details, a space where my old employer will sign that they agree for my release, and offer details.

  5. Time to resign. After I got the documents mentioned in number four, and with the advice of my new employer -- I'm now good to resign.

  6. Resignation and notice period. When I tender my resignation my boss told me that I need to work for one month. That was in 2009, however in 2010, three-month notice period is required. But you have the option to pay the days not serve if the your previous company agree. I don't bother to pay that time because its one month only. So, I served my notice period.

  7. Last working day and submission of release paper. After my last working day, I reported to HR of my old company. I gave to them my release paper -- for my the signature of my old sponsor to sign. HR told me that they will call me, after signature is obtained, and collect the release paper. After few days, HR called me and I'm so happy to collect my release paper and original passport. HR further told that they will give my new sponsor 45 days to transfer my residency. Then, once my residency is transferred; they need a copy of new residency, work permit and civil ID. Once I gave those copies, they will also settle my end of service benefits.

  8. Submitting passport and release paper to my new sponsor. In the same day I submitted my release paper. The HR of the clothing company told me that they will process the transfer immediately. HR further told me that: "you (that's me)  can only join our company once transfer formalities has been done and work permit is issued under our sponsorship." 

  9. Joining formalities. I waited for almost one month and they called me to report. They told me that I can join the company ASAP. They also gave me copy of my new residency (that has been stamped on my passport), work permit, and civil ID. Yes!!! Now, I've got new job, new residency, new work permit. Meaning, I have a new job with a little bit higher salary, legally can stay and work in Kuwait.

  10. Now its time to end my professional connection with the previous company. I reported to the HR of my old company and submitted the required documents for my end of service (EOS) benefits and end of service certificate release. HR calculated my EOS and showed me the amount and took my signature. They told me that they will deposit the amount in my bank account. After one month, I've got my EOS in the bank and collected my certificate.
Hope my above experience help in guiding your first local job hunting and eventually transfer formalities from your old sponsor to new sponsor.

No comments:

Post a Comment