RETIRE RICH - OFWs deserve to retire rich

Saturday, May 20

Why keep on learning something new?

I started this blog in 2012. My purpose was to document my journey as an OFW in this country and to improve my writing skills. Well, the irony is, I seldom write about my stuff as an OFW. Maybe because I value my privacy so much (masyado lang talaga akong mahiyain). Instead, I posted topics about announcements that would interest OFWs in Kuwait. At least, I still did not alter my second purpose--to improve my writing skills.

Why improve my writing skills?

I completed a bachelor's degree in Marine Transportation. I was not able to get a job as a seaman. I ended up working in a supermarket--a job that gave me the opportunity to work in Kuwait (The Sultan Center). I worked there for three years. It was a tough job (ambigat ng mga dinidisplay ko noon gaya ng bottles of drinking water). Although I'm supposed to be a seaman (my first dream), which I gave up, it was my second dream to work in an office. I never give up on that dream. While working as a stockman at the Sultan Center, I studied a 2-month secretarial course at ICSA. 

In 2010 an opportunity knocked for an office job. I've got it because I'm ready. Finally, I achieve my dream of having my own office table, a chair, a land phone, and a computer provided by the company. Well, while it is tough carrying heavy items to store in the warehouse as a stockman, it is also very tough for me to compose a short email to my boss and colleagues. It took me hours to compose a simple email. Through this blog, I was able to hone my skills and confidence in writing. 

Improving my writing leads to learning more skills and opportunities to earn.

In my pursuit to improve my writing skills, I stumbled upon WordPress and then Blogger. These are free platforms to create websites or personal blogs like this. From just writing, I also learn how to set up websites. It includes website designing (HTML and PHP coding), domain registration, hosting management, etc. 

In order to enhance my blog posts, I need to upload photos. Well, improving my writing took me to photography. In 2011, I bought my first DSLR (Canon 1100D) which led me also to learn photo editing, and graphics design in Adobe Photoshop and later on Canva

With the skills I learned, I was able to monetize them through AdSense and affiliate marketing. 

The lesson that I learned.

  • Never give up your dream. While dreaming, prepare yourself. A dream without action is just a dream. So that, when opportunity knocks you are ready to grab it.
  • Never stop learning. Learning is not only confined inside the four corners of a classroom. You learn so much in silence. Listen more, you will learn something. 
  • Learning something new will lead to other learning opportunities. 
  • Skills you've learned can be monetized.

No comments:

Post a Comment